Old Harbor House
|The stylish hotel at Tower Road adjacent to the Princess Street was one of the oldest hotels in Kochi and used to be a shelter for sailors. It was built in 1808 by the tea brokers Carrit Moran and Company. Later it became the residence of the officials of the tea broking firm before being converted to a heritage hotel.
The Dutch architecture blended finely with the Portuguese tradition to create such a simple, but elegant building. The Dutch influence is prominent in the arches of the building while the Portuguese feature is revealed in the setting up of the courtyard. The hotel owes its grandeur to the skilled craftsmanship of the engineers and workers of the early 19th century. Large arched entrance and red-tiled roof etc are some characteristics of the Old Harbour House and its solid structure will never escape the attention of the visitors. The building, with its well-maintained garden and its great view of the waterfront, was once the hang-out of the sailors.