Valiapally St. Mary’s Knanaya Church
|This church at Thazhathangadi was built in AD 1550 and belongs to the Knanaya community. It was Godavarma Raja of the Thekkumkoor royal family who contributed land for the construction of the Valiapally. Valiapally means big church.
The church is renowned for its Persian cross which is believed to be one of the seven crosses brought by St. Thomas, the apostle who came to southern Kerala in AD 52. Inscriptions in Pahlavi language, the language of the Sassanian dynasty of Persia, can be seen on the cross. The paintings on the altar and the ceiling also attract a lot of visitors.