Educational Institutions in Kumily
|It was during the first half of the 1900s that migration to Kumily happened on a large scale. As such, the educational institutions here have a history of not more than a hundred years. Though there were only a few government-run schools in the ’50s and ’60s, meant for the children of the settlers, the later decades witnessed the sprouting of numerous educational institutions. Tribal schools aiming at the educational uplift of the tribal community and schools that follow the CBSE or State syllabi were set up towards the end of the 20th century.
The Govt. Vocational Higher Secondary School at Kumily, about four km from Thekkady, is one of the first schools in the region. It is popularly known as Kumily School. It started functioning as a primary school in June, 1925 with a single teacher. In 1971, it was upgraded to a high school and in 2000, to a higher secondary school. The school is in four acres of land.
The Govt. Higher Secondary School, Amaravathy, is also one of the earliest schools in this area. The school, in six acres of land about six km from Thekkady, started functioning as a lower primary school in 1961. More than thirty years later, in 1994, it was upgraded to a higher secondary school.