Palakkad Fort

Palakkad Fort

Palakkad Fort, also known as Tipu's Fort, which has withstood the vicissitudes of time, was built by Hyder Ali in 1766 CE. Situated on a small hillock and covering an area of 15 acres in Palakkad town, this fort is now under the control of the Archaeological Survey of India.

The Kotta Maidan (fort grounds) encloses a square-shaped fort with its majestic granite walls, a moat, a drawbridge at the entrance, bastions at the centre and four corners. There are various other architectural features which point to its chequered history, and stand testimony to its strategic importance during the 18th and 19th centuries.

Other Peculiarities:
At the entrance to the fort, there is a temple known as Kota ambalam (fort temple) with Lord Hanuman as the main deity.

Inside, there is a Martyr's Column and an open-air auditorium called Rappadi, (named after a songbird that sings at night). The Palakkad sub-jail is also situated inside the fort.

The Kotta Maidan played an important role during the invasion of various armies. It housed a stable for the horses and elephants that were used by Tipu's troops. Today, it is a popular venue for expos, fairs, circuses and so on.