Mishkal Mosque, the four-storied mosque situated in Kuttichira, has a history of more than 650 years. The credit for constructing such a huge mosque with extensive use of timber goes to an Arab trader and ship owner, Nakhooda Mishkal and the mosque is named after him.
The mosque was initially five storied, and it was reduced to a four-storied structure following a Portuguese attack in 1510. The damages made during the Portuguese attack are still visible here. The mosque is a fine example of the communal harmony that existed in the place, because it was the ruler of Kozhikode, the Zamorin, who donated wood to repair the damage following the Portuguese attack.
This imposing wooden mosque is simply breathtaking. The outer paving with Italian tiles, 47 doors, 24 pillars decorated with carvings that support the entire structure, the big prayer hall capable of accommodating about 300 people and so on are some of the features that make this mosque truly remarkable.
Unlike other mosques, this one lacks copulas and minarets. The noticeable resemblance to traditional temple architecture is reflected in the intricate carvings on the walls and ceilings and in the gopuram-style arches at the entrance. Square and rectangular tanks, a few yards away from the famous Kuttichira pond, can be seen attached to the mosque.
The area inside the mosque is well-ventilated with mihrab-style doors. During its renovation, a wooden mimbar, with intricate motifs, was added to the structure.
Kuttichira Jama Palli
Jama Palli is situated midway between Mishkal mosque and Muchundipalli. This 14th-century structure has the largest floor area compared to that of the other mosques in Kerala and it can accommodate about 1000 people at a time. Extensive use of wood is involved in the construction of the mosque and it has a circular structure with wood panellings on top.
Enter the main hall and you will be astonished by the illumination there. The movable roof is one of the peculiarities and the mosque promotes some natural resources conservative efforts like rain water harvesting.
Just in line with the temple architecture of the 14th century, this mosque too has intricate wood carvings like lotuses and geographic motifs on the ceiling. Arabic inscriptions are seen on the wooden walls and the rafters of the ceiling.
Muchundipalli, built in the 13th century, is the oldest mosque in the city. The mosque has an interesting history which throws light into the religious amity which prevailed during 13th century. It is said that the erstwhile rulers, the Zamorins, patronized Islam. The property for building the mosque was donated by the king. There is a stone slab in the mosque that narrates this story. It is inscribed in the ancient Malayalam script, Vattezhuthu.
The entire structure stands on a 1.5 m high plinth. The double-tiered roof with a decorated gable, the floral wood work on the ceiling, the intricate work on the pillars and the carvings of animals are all reminiscent of temple architecture and speak volumes about the Hindu influence. Inscriptions from the Holy Koran can also be seen. Inside the mosque, there is a semi-circular mihrab.