One of those beautiful cities on the Malabar Coast of Kerala, Thalassery is famous for many reasons. It is often called the city of "three C's" in the state - cricket, cake and circus. It is the place were the British first played cricket, the first cakes introduced by the British were baked here in the Mambally's Royal Biscuit Factory and Indian circus had its origins in this town as well.
Places to visit
Thalassery Fort was constructed in 1706 by the British as a military centre. It is built of laterite blocks with massive and aloofly loop - holed walls and strong flanking bastions. The entrance of the fort is on the top of a giant wall that makes it different from other forts in Kerala.
Thalassery pier or Thalassery Kadalpalam, as it is known in Malayalam, is the remnant of the glorious past that Thalassery had as a commercial centre. It is an old pier extending out into the Arabian Sea. In the colonial period, it helped in sea trade connecting the Thalassery Bazar.
The drive-in beach and shallow waters of Muzhappilangad is a paradise for swimmers. The 4.5 km long beach is sheltered by black boulders.
Overburry's Folly, an unfinished construction, is a seashore recreational park. The Folly is located on a hill near the Thalassery District Court. Today, Overburry's Folly has been renovated and redecorated as a tourist attraction.
Gundert Bungalow was the residence of Dr. Herman Gundert, the revered German missionary, scholar and lexicographer who prepared the first Malayalam dictionary. He lived here from 1839-1859. The bungalow also witnessed the publication of the first Malayalam newspaper Paschimodayam.
Dharmadom Island is one km away from the mainland at Dharmadom beach, adjacent to the Muzhappilangad beach with cliffs falling out to the Arabian Sea. The uninhabited pristine island covered with coconut palms and dense bushes is largely inaccessible. For an overnight stay at the island, one must contact the District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC).