|The educational history of Kochi as well as Kerala would not be complete without mention of the contributions of the Maharaja’s College of Ernakulam. The college has shaped the sensibilities of many a youth in the State and provided an atmosphere ideal for the nurture and growth of many a writer, politician, sportsperson, artist and academician.
The college, located adjacent to the banks of Lake Vembanad , is one of the best and biggest higher education centres in Kerala. At the campus of over 10 acres, about 20 departments are housed in the vast building that has borne witness to more than 100 years of history.
The institution was founded by the royal famiy of Cochin in 1845. It began functioning in a single room as an elementary English school. In 1868, it became a high school and less than a decade later, in 1875, was upgraded to a college.
The college was given its present name of The Maharaja’s College in 1925. Earlier, it was known simply as Ernakulam College. The college, which was affiliated to Madras University during its early years, came under Travancore University in 1949 following the integration of the Cochin and Travancore states. Now, it is under the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.
Apart from this, there are various buildings of traditional and modern architecture standing between tall trees. There is also a big library which is 125 years old. Sports is given due importance by the authorities and this is evidenced by the various sports facilities that include a synthetic athletic track, a football court cum cricket ground, a stadium pavilion and outdoor and indoor courts.
Men and women provide decent hostel facilities. The career guidance cell, cooperative store, well-equipped laboratories etc provide the right facilities for students to focus on their studies and future. Alumni association was formed in this college way back in 1925 and they too contribute to the growth and expansion plans of the college.