Construction of Cochin Port
After thoroughly studying the conditions and surroundings, Sir Robert Bristow understood that it is possible to create a safe harbour in Kochi by making an inner channel for ships to enter. The problem related to the erosion of Vypeen foreshore was solved through innovative thinking and a smart solution – that of laying rubble granite groynes parallel to the shores. Robert Bristow then wanted to reclaim the backwaters and the dredger Lord Willington was employed for this purpose in 1926.
The years of effort by the machine as well as by the men bore fruits when the sand bar was finally removed in March 1928. Thereafter, the inner harbour was marked with the buoys and the steamship named `S S Padma’ entered the new Cochin Port on May 26, 1928, thus officially opening the port to the world.