|Willington Island was created by the visionary harbour engineer, Sir Robert Bristow, who foresaw the possibility of creating a man-made island while deepening the Kochi harbour. In 1928, during the modernization of the harbour under Bristow’s supervision, the mud and materials dredged out was used to create an island. Today, after about 82 years, the island, standing in an area of around 775 acres amidst the backwaters, is one of the bustling trade centres of the country.
The island, named after Lord Willington, the then Viceroy of India, is connected to the mainland of Ernakulam through the Venduruthy Bridge. The presence of the Mattancherry and Ernakulam wharfs on either sides was an important contributing factor in its growth as an important trading centre in Kochi. At present, the island houses the modern port, many important offices, hotels and buildings including that of the Southern Naval Command and the Cochin Port Trust.
|A bit of history|
|Cochin Port today|
|Cochin Port Trust|
|Southern Naval Command Headquarters|
|Other peculiarities of Willington Island|