Gundert Bungalow was the residence of Dr Hermann Gundert, a German missionary, scholar and lexicographer who is remembered for his invaluable contributions to the Malayalam language. In 1839 CE, he settled down and lived here for almost two decades. Situated at Illikkunnu, which is 4 kms from Thalassery, this bungalow witnessed several initiatives in the cultural history of Thalassery. The first Malayalam newspapers, Rajyasamacharam and Paschimodayam came out from the litho press set up at the bungalow. The bungalow was also instrumental in triggering social reform activities by providing English education and enhancing women’s means of livelihood by the setting up of tailoring unit classes.