There are about 14 schools in Kumarakom of which three are more than 100 years old. Before the establishment of the modern primary schools in the public sector in 1868, Kumarakom had kudippallikkoodams (home schools) that were started with the blessings of the King of Travancore. The SLB LP School, the first one, was set up in 1910. A year later, the Government North LP School was started.
The churches contributed much to the educational sector. The Vadakkumkara St. John’s Church started the St. John’s LP School in 1914. This lower primary school was upgraded to an upper primary later. The Sacred Heart School for boys was established in the 1920s by the St. John’s Church of Vellara. They also started a girls’ school (Consalatha Memorial LP School) later. The St. Mary’s LP School was established in 1914. The first English-medium school was established in the village in 1943 with the land contributed by the Attamangalam St. John’s Church.
|Sarpakavu (Grove of Snakes)||Traditional Houses in Kumarakom|