This church, with John, the Baptist, as its patron saint was the first Roman Catholic church in Kumarakom. Earlier, the Roman Catholics used to worship in the churches at Kudamaloor. It was in the 1760s that this church, known as the Kariyil Church, was built. In 1960, it was renovated.
The Archdiocese of Changanacherry is in charge of the administration of the church. The church authorities started a primary school in 1914, which was later upgraded into an upper primary school, the St. John’s U P School at Elachira.
|St. John's Church, Vallara