Subrahmanya Temple and Sree Dharma Sastha Temple
|Both these temples have a common compound wall.
It is believed that the Subrahmanya Temple, Kumarakom’s first temple, was constructed on the orders of the Vadakkumkore king, about 1800 years ago. According to legends, the king, during a break in a journey at the place where the temples are located, had a dream in which he felt the presence of Lord Subrahmanya. Consequently, he ordered the construction of the temple which has a pavilion made out of a single stone.
The village is supposed to have derived its name from this temple - from the two words ‘kumara’ and ‘akam’ which in combination means ‘home of Lord Subrahmanya’.
Thaippooyam is the major festival here. It falls in the Malayalam month of Makaram (mostly in February). The ritualistic procession of kavadi-carrying devotees is the major attraction of the festival.
The Sree Dharma Sastha Temple is believed to be about 1200 years old. The deity is Sastha or Ayyappan. The main festival of the temple falls in the month of Makaram (January/February). Musical rituals such as the Udukku pattu and the Villadichan pattu are held in connection with the festival.