Established by the Gowda Saraswat Brahmins (GSB) of Kerala in 1565 CE, the Azheekkal Sree Varaha Temple is considered as the “complete temple” (Sampoorna kshetram in Malayalam) of the nagara type in South India. The temple houses all the seven deities of the Gowda Saraswat Brahmins of Kerala. The presiding deity of the temple is Varaha Moorthy.
Gowda Saraswat Brahmins settled in Vypin around 16th century CE, and built many temples in and around Azheekkal, one of the major temples being Sree Varaha temple. After suffering major erosions from flood, the temple at Azheekkal was dismantled and brought to Pallipuram near Cherai, where a new temple was built and prathista [idol installation] was done in 1880 CE.
The famous temple ratham [chariot] and rathaveedhi [chariot’s street] are notable features of the temple architecture. The temple has a vast ground in front which is a rarity among other GSB temples in Kerala. The seevelipura [roofed pathway] is another architectural speciality of the temple.