Built in 1919, Maliyekkal House has been a witness to Thalassery’s changing history. The late Kadankandi Kuttiyamu Haji built this beautiful mansion for his children. It has more than 16 rooms. The pillars, tiles, chandeliers, wooden work and nearly all features in this house speak volumes for the trade relationships this family had and the greatness of local craftsmanship.
Maliyekkal House is not just an ancestral home at Thalassery, but an icon for reformation in education. P. M. Mariyumma, the eldest member of the family, was English-educated at a time when education was denied to Muslim girls. She was in the forefront of several reformation activities in the fields of education and employment.