This asana strengthens the triceps, wrists, back, and legs. It also stretches the muscles of your shoulders, chest, and front ankles.
How to do Purvottanasana?
- Sit erect. Stretch your legs out in front of you.
- Stretch your arms backward to place your palms behind you. Point your fingers backwards.
- Arch and slowly drop your head backwards.
- Allow your arms to support your upper body.
- Inhale. Raise your hips off the floor till your body forms a straight plank.
- Make sure that your feet are placed flat against the floor and have a firm grip.
- Breathe evenly. Maintain the posture for 10 seconds. Increase this time as you practise.
- Gradually lower your hips to the floor and relax.