Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral is a huge church constructed by Fr. John Maliekal at East Fort, in the Indo-European style, in 1885. This is the first church in India that has a cellar church. Initially, this was under the headquarters at Verapoly (Varapuzha), but later went to the Syrians. This was the seat of Medalicode Bishop in 1887. The main altar was renovated a number of times. Now it has the image of the Lady of Lourdes above the altar, of the crucified Christ below it, and the statues of St. Thomas and St. Joseph on either side. Pictures of a row of angels form the background.